holiday

Monday, August 14, 2006

Night out

After referring to the list of restaurants from the trusty forum, I decided on 'La Bounty' - it's got good reviews, but most importantly, it's supposed to be 'reasonable prices' (for Bora Bora that is!). We walk to the reception to ask for the boat and while waiting, thought we'd take some photos of the view across on the main island. These are the bungalows of another resort - I think it's the Inter-Continental Moana, just re-opened after extensive refurbishment.

We were told that the restaurant's only a 5 minute walk away, so no transport provided for us tonight. We walked out onto the muddy street that had no street lights - just barely made out the puddles in the road from on-coming traffic. The main road is paved for the most parts, but lucky us - the stretch in between our hotel and the restaurant is the part that is mostly UN-paved. Full of puddles and potholes...which is just as well, since the cars slowed down while driving past, so we didn't have to worry about getting splashed by zooming cars.

I told myself that I'll be trying the 'national' dish of poisson cru - raw tuna (not sure if it's tuna all the time, or just any fish?) marinated in coconut milk and lemon/lime juice, with cucumber, carrots and tomatoes. It's a cold appetiser dish - but the portion that came was enough for a main course! Of course there was no way that Rod would try it since it's fish, but I thought it was quite good. Couldn't finish the entire portion, as I'd have been sick before main course. Other than the poisson cru, nothing really spectacular about the food. It was okay food, but nothing to write home about.

The only highlight of the evening was Rod spotting a huge mud crab sitting about two feet behind me. When the couple (who were nearer the crab) saw us pointing and staring at the ground behind the girl, they too turned and had a look. There was an animated conversation in Italian (heard a lot more Italian than French in French Polynesia, funnily enough! I thought they all went to Sardegna for the summer!!! Ha-ha!), which then caught the attention of another Italian couple sitting nearby. And when the other Italian guy saw the crab, he immediately whipped out his camera and ran over for a close-up - "Bello!Bello!" - he kept saying. Although I'm not sure I agree with his opinion. Anyway, after a few shots, he went back to his table. But this couple had enough of the crab, so the guy took their umbrella and nudged it over the rail into the garden.

But 10 minutes later, it crawled back! The girl tried the umbrella thing again, which pissed it off enough to try to pinch the umbrella with its pincers. It would have been fine if it stayed where it was. Unfortunately, it started to inch towards me!!! I heard Rod saying "Do you want the umbrella? Do you want the umbrella?" but I was too distracted with watching where the damn crab was going to go, so didn't answer him. Then it suddenly sped up towards my feet and I let out a loud screech and stuck my feet up in the air. Did Rod come to my rescue? NOOOO!!!

The Italian girl came over with the umbrella and she manages to stick the umbrella under my chair a few times, and then suddenly I felt something brush against my calf and thought, "Oh my god, it's attacking me!" - while the girl was telling me "Aspetta, aspetta" - "Wait, wait". I couldn't bloody wait while the crab was attacking me, so I jumped up and turned around to see my rescuer jab at the crab. And what was Rod doing? He was STILL in his chair, WITH HIS FEET STUCK UP IN THE AIR!!!! Talk about being a hero...and HE had the bloody umbrella with him! I think by that time the crab had had enough of commotion and it ran over the rail into the garden, and then skittered all the way along the rail to the front of the restaurant. By that time, half of the restaurant patrons were hanging over the rail to see what the noise was all about!

Well, I can now add 'crab' to the list of things that I wouldn't expect Rod to 'save' me from. Top of the list being 'creepy crawlies' of course...anything with more than 4 legs (dogs are okay) but less than 8 legs (spiders are okay), has some form of wings and feelers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home